Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags

quotidian

Aug. 16th, 2026 04:20 pm
johncomic: (Moss)
[personal profile] johncomic
Out of nowhere, I got thinking the other day... 

Ever since I started The Mundane Adventures of Dishman in 1985, all my work since then has been mundane, to some extent or other.

Space Kid, while science fiction, was fairly restrained science fiction. Space adventure limited to the solar system, where it takes weeks to travel to the middle planets, as opposed to the space-warping, galaxy-spanning immensity that is the norm for SF.

And my strip Not That Magic featured wizards and dragons and barbarians... but it was wizards who drive jalopies and travel on their quests via bus, and dragons who love donuts, and barbarians who need to be directed to the bathroom. And the Grand Archmage of the Wizards' Guild is named Steve. 

Around the turn of the century, I was working on another strip, about aliens... but it was aliens who settle on Earth and live in suburbia.

And my current graphic novel in progress is about an insignificant little guy doing insignificant little things. 

Oddly enough, I grew up with a ravenous appetite for rip-roaring adventure. But any time I tried to make one of my own, I could never get it off the ground. It's only since I discovered the mundane that I found my niche, I guess. 

Go figure.

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  12 345
6789101112
13141516171819
202122 23242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Page generated Oct. 8th, 2026 01:54 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios